DVD Region Problem with Mac OS X

A teacher came to me yesterday unable to play a DVD from Spain because OS X required her to switch the region code for her software, with the ominous warning, “You will only be able to change region four times.” Is this related to digital rights management (DRM) or other copyright issues?

The workaround was to install VLC, an alternate media player that plays the region 3 DVD without complaint. The only catch is that you need to keep the Apple region warning in the background, or else it will eject the DVD. Thanks to Miguel Guhlin for the idea (he likes it for MP3-independent podcasting). Too bad about Apple, whose support of some (unknown to me) legal issue makes their DVD player relatively unusable.

Does anyone know why VLC chose the traffic cone for its logo? It is a warning sign for the potholes caused by DRM?

1. ..--Orbital//.. says:

Actually, The traffic cone icon in VLC is a reference to the collection of traffic cones collected by Ecole Centrale’s Students’ Association, the creators of VLC.

Awesome. Thanks for filling that in. Where did they collect the cones from?

3. Katie says:

The VLC fix no longer works sadly, VLC is still a sweet program I kinda like the cone it’s different and IDK , cute but I have a need for a region free because of my job and things coming in from around the world.

4. memet says:

I gotta say I’m immensely peeved by this draconian limitation of the MPA. DVD Regions are supposed to limit the release of DVDs across the world so that the MPA could ‘phase’ their sales to an optimal rate.
    In other words: milk us for more money.

The annoying thing is that it’s a bit code. And they’re forcing us to be illegal. Buying a movie is no longer enough, I have to buy it in all the continents I visit.

I’ve courtesouly left out expletives…

</rant>

5. muttleyap says:

I found an interesting program called region X wherein you can dvd region free. I’m just about to test it out

6. sanjun says:

An error may occur when playing a DVD disc with a region code,Here I would like to tell you <a href="http://gonmac.wordpress.com…"><u>How to PLay Different Region DVD Movies on Mac</u></a>.