What if we applied wiki concepts to our public-facing web site? Could we harness power of the commons to build a better present ourselves to our core audiences? Considering that most of these audiences are people already in our school community, this idea could have potential.
There exist many intermediate steps between controlling all of the content ourselves and opening it up completely to the entire world.
- Encourage faculty and staff members to manage site content (as we currently do).
- Include parent and student contributions (as we currently do on our internal web site).
- Allow any community member to edit a site page, but review the submission before publishing it.
- Allow any community member to edit a site page and immediately publish it.
- Allow any member of the public to edit site content.
Could we take a step or two toward a community-generated school web site?
Update 1/9/2008: Dearborn Public Schools (Michigan) has done it.