The Director of Academic Technology will join a school that is uses technology well and is currently pursuing new, exciting technology initiatives. These include the launch of student laptop and iPad programs, experiments with blended learning, digital reading and note taking, and new computer science and technology curricula. Candidates must possess knowledge of secondary education, educational technology, and program leadership and demonstrate communication skills, flexibility, enthusiasm, and a systems thinking orientation. A master’s degree in education or educational technology (or equivalent experience) is required.
Position: Academic year + four weeks
University Prep is committed to the diversity of its workplace.
Reports to: Academic Dean
The Director of Academic Technology guides the evolution of the school’s academic technology philosophy and strategy; facilitates faculty member and student inquiry into uses of technology to support teaching and learning; organizes the school’s laptop and tablet programs for teachers and students; supports the integration of information, communication, and technology literacy standards within the instructional program; introduces the school to new technologies that have strong potential to support teaching and learning at U Prep. The Director of Academic Technology works closely with the Academic Dean, Division Directors, and the IT Department.
- In collaboration with the division directors and academic dean, develops and implements a schoolwide strategy to facilitate teacher growth in academic uses of technology, including but not limited to one-on-one instructional coaching, professional development workshops, and peer cohort development.
- Informs the faculty of high quality professional development opportunities and external online resources supportive of faculty inquiry into academic technologies; develops appropriate corresponding internal, online resources.
- Coordinates the school’s laptop and tablet programs; communicates with and responds to faculty, students, and families as they engage with the program; maintains an easily-accessible repository of laptop and tablet program information for various constituencies; monitors effectiveness of the program and adjusts policies and practices as needed, with the support of the IT department, division directors, and academic dean.
- In collaboration with the library director, supports instruction for information, communication, and technology literacy across grades 6-12; assesses progress of the school curriculum toward ICT benchmarks; facilitates teacher development of corresponding learning environments and activities.
- Manages the school’s learning management system (currently Moodle), with the support of the LMS hosting provider; provides LMS training opportunities to faculty members.
- Evaluates progress towards achieving the goals of the academic section of the Long-range Plan for Technology on an ongoing basis.
- Administers the distributed responsibility model for academic software, in which academic departments serve as the school’s experts for subject-specific software applications.
- Collaborates with the IT Manager to clearly communicate the needs of the instructional program to the IT department and to be fully aware of technical opportunities and constraints identified by the IT department.
- Partners with Parent Council to provide educational opportunities for University Prep families in the area of technology, for example Family Access, Internet safety, laptop and tablet use at home, and social networking.
- Optionally, teaches one elective course to students, currently Digital Media for seventh and eighth grades.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary and benefits:
University Prep strives to attract and retain excellent employees through a compensation plan that compares well to its peer schools. Salaries are competitive, and a full benefits package includes generous retirement benefits and medical coverage.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your resume to:
8000 25th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98115